CAMP HOPE FOUNDATION
Name of the project: Care and education for special needs children ages 5-13 yrs
Location: Quito in the Carcelén neighbourhood, about 45 minutes from the center of Quito.
Project Description: Camp Hope is a school for disable and underprivileged children, with 130 students from kindergarten to grade 6. It is based on the idea to put both special needs and non-special needs children in the same classroom to decrease discrimination and separation, as well as provide lots of love and support for all its students. The care for each student depends on his/her physical and mental needs, so the school provides vocational workshops for teenagers, medical attention, rehabilitation, afterschool programs and recreational activities in addition to normal education activities during the day. The Foundation also provides accommodation in Casa Hogar for orphaned children who cannot be supported by their families.
Range of volunteer tasks: There are a broad range of activities that volunteers can undertake at the foundation, depending on one’s interests and experience. Areas of work available for those with specific experience include medical care include physical therapy, rehabilitation, and social work. Daily care for special needs children who are the most dependent include feeding, dressing, and taking care of their basic hygiene. Volunteers with may also work as teachers’ aides with various grade levels. Other activities include assistance with recreation activities for the children and working in the arts and crafts room.
Sometimes Camp Hope may have need for a live-in volunteer in Casa Hogar.
Minimum amount of time: One week is the minimum but longer amounts of time are preferred.
Minimum level of Spanish required: All levels accepted, but past volunteers have recommended at least a basic-intermediate level.
Other skills required: Patience and flexibility are the most important skills to have when working with special needs children.
Schedule: The hours are generally 0800 – 1600 but volunteers can choose to work only in the mornings or only in the afternoons. Mornings are much preferred.
• Transportation from the airport of Quito
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Transportation to the project after class
• Transportation back to Cusco
• Accommodation in a shared apartment (Family house with bedroom, it is possible to have three meals a day for a fee of 30 euros / week during the course).
• Accommodation in a carefully selected bedroom
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, games during the Spanish lessons (once a week)
• Games during the language course
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency number of the local teams are available 24 hours to 24 hours
• The support of our local staff
• A T-shirt from our organization
• The support of our coordinators of our, in advance experimented, programs during and after your trip
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish course
• A ride on horseback or rafting
• Administration costs
• School activities every weekend (extra charge)
• National and international flights
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses for leisure
• Tickets to tourist sites
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN
FLORA AND FAUNA WORK
ECUADOR STUDY AND TRAVEL
Our Office In Germany