VOLUNTEERS PROJECT MENTAL HEALTHCENTER SAN JUAN PABLO SEGUNDO
Name of the project: Centro de Salud Mental Juan Pablo II
Project Description: Centro de Salud Mental is a mental health institute offering psychiatric treatments to underprivileged people in and around Cusco. The patients are divided into three groups depending on the type or severity of the disease. The first group consists of patients with addictions such as through alcohol or drugs. The second group contains patients who suffer from mental illnesses such as depression and schizophrenia. The patients included in the third group are institutionalized due to serious mental instability. There are approximately thirty members of the staff working in the center including doctors, nurses, psychologists and students from the local universities doing their internships in the center.
Volunteer Responsibilities: The level of participation expected of you will depend on your experience and specialties. The daily program for the patients consists of therapy with a psychologist (individual or in groups), medical evaluations and different workshops. You can help the patients during their workshops such as with mechanics, shoemaking, and pottery making. Volunteers can also organize some recreational activities such as movie nights, sporting competitions and board games. Depending on your level of experience and Spanish, there is also an opportunity to assist the facilities’ psychologists with their daily routines.
Minimum Stay Required: 4 weeks
• Volunteers without specific studies
Required Level of Spanish: Basic to Intermediate
Typical Workday Hours: 8am – 12pm or 2pm – 6pm
Activities: The project organizes an excursion for the patients once a week. You can help the staff members to care for the patients during these excursions.
• Transportation from Cusco airport
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Introduction to project with in country coordinator
• First accommodation option in a volunteer shared apartment
• Second accommodation option in a host family (for an additional 50 dollars/week- three meals included)
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, game nights (once a week)
• Horseback riding or white water rafting excursions
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency contact available 24 hours a day
• The support of our local staff and coordinators
• A T-shirt from our organization
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish level after classes
• Administration costs
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses
• Tickets to tourist sites
• Extra tours or excursions
Option: If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN
FLORA AND FAUNA WORK
ECUADOR STUDY AND TRAVEL
Our Office In Germany