SUBCENTRO DE SALUD SAN MARTIN, QUITO
Name of the project: Learn about Quito’s public health system while working and learning from local doctors.
Location: Southern Quito in the San Martin neighborhood, About 45 minutes from the center of Quito.
Project Description: Work in the free clinic that serves the less advantaged population of this sector of Quito. The clinic is small but serves many patients as it is located in a marginalized sector of Quito, and the nurses and doctors. The center treats a variety of conditions and focuses on family medicine.
Range of volunteer tasks:
• Medical students may assist the busy nurses, doctors, and nutritionists to take patient information, vital signs, and participate in basic patient prep. More experienced volunteers may take on more complicated tasks.
• Conduct home visits with the doctors within the neighborhood
Minimum amount of time: Two weeks
Level of Spanish required: High intermediate – advanced. Good communication and language skills are very necessary in a medical setting
Other skills required: Medical skills or nursing experience. Normally students should be at least in their 2nd year of medical school.
Schedule: 08:00 - 13:00
• Transportation from the airport of Quito
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Transportation to the project after class
• Transportation back to Cusco
• Accommodation in a shared apartment (Family house with bedroom, it is possible to have three meals a day for a fee of 30 euros / week during the course).
• Accommodation in a carefully selected bedroom
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, games during the Spanish lessons (once a week)
• Games during the language course
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency number of the local teams are available 24 hours to 24 hours
• The support of our local staff
• A T-shirt from our organization
• The support of our coordinators of our, in advance experimented, programs during and after your trip
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish course
• A ride on horseback or rafting
• Administration costs
• School activities every weekend (extra charge)
• National and international flights
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses for leisure
• Tickets to tourist sites
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN